Try Free

ANC Headlines (10AM) — ANC (21 May 2026)

ABS-CBN News May 21, 2026 7m 978 words
▶ Watch original video

About this transcript: This is a full AI-generated transcript of ANC Headlines (10AM) — ANC (21 May 2026) from ABS-CBN News, published May 21, 2026. The transcript contains 978 words with timestamps and was generated using Whisper AI.

"Good morning, I'm Stanley Palisada here. The Biggest Stories at this hour on ANC. The Philippine government's chief lawyer welcomes the Supreme Court's blocking of the ICC arrest implementation against Senator Ronald De La Rosa. The Office of the Solicitor General, through Darlene Berberabe, said..."

[0:01] Good morning, I'm Stanley Palisada here. The Biggest Stories at this hour on ANC. [0:10] The Philippine government's chief lawyer welcomes the Supreme Court's blocking of the ICC arrest implementation against Senator Ronald De La Rosa. [0:19] The Office of the Solicitor General, through Darlene Berberabe, said the denial of the temporary restraining order shows there is no legal hurdle in preventing the enforcement of the warrant against the lawmaker. [0:31] The senator's legal team has vowed to appeal that decision. De La Rosa is a co-accused in the drug war crimes against humanity case of former President Rodrigo Duterte. [0:43] The OSG had argued the government can arrest De La Rosa without first going through a local court. [0:50] It's said, however, that it would wait for the high court's full ruling, which would also address other preliminary issues of the case. [0:57] The chief state lawyer says, in the face of De La Rosa's prosecution, the government's response will show what commitment to justice and the rule of law truly mean for the country. [1:11] Philippine Vice President Sara Duterte is given until June 1st to respond to the articles of impeachment. [1:18] This pronouncement by the impeachment court's presiding officer, Senate President Alan Peter Cayetano, after the VP received the official summons on Wednesday. [1:27] Duterte previously denied accusations of misusing her confidential funds, amassing questionable wealth, and making grave threats against the president. [1:37] Cayetano says the prosecution will then have five days to submit a reply if they opt to do so. [1:43] A member of that panel is hoping Duterte will give more substantial answers to the claims against her. [1:49] Representative Terry Vidoon also hopes the trial could begin around June, even when Congress is on break. [1:55] Magkahiwalay po itong proseso doon sa atin pong legislative calendar. [2:02] So the Senate impeachment court can basically determine their own schedule on the trial proper itself. [2:12] The prosecution also eyeing to object to moves in the Senate to allow the online participation and voting of senator judges. [2:21] At the moment, wala pong nga ganyang rule, no? [2:24] Both in the Senate rules and in the Senate impeachment court, no? [2:29] So I think that is a matter that will have to be decided on by the senator judges when they convene again. [2:36] Pero I think we will object as a part of the prosecution panel. [2:40] The newly appointed budget chief vowing there will be no repeat of the multi-billion peso flood control corruption scandal. [2:50] Secretary Kim De Leon formally took over as head of the DBM from outgoing officer in charge Rolando Toledo Wednesday. [3:00] In his speech, De Leon issued a strong warning against corruption and misuse of public funds. [3:06] I returned to DBM with a clean record and let me be also very clear. [3:17] With utmost respect to this noble institution that we all love and consider our second home, [3:25] I intend to keep my name and record clean. [3:29] We will not allow the budget to be abused again for another flood control scandal. [3:37] We will not allow the president to be abused again for another part of the president. [3:41] Bawat piso mapupunta sa tao. [3:46] Malacanang announced De Leon's appointment on Monday making the 32-year-old the youngest secretary in the history of the agency prior to his appointment. [3:59] Members of the new Senate majority take on key committee chairmanships following the leadership change in the upper chamber. [4:06] Senator Pia Cayetano, the sister of Senate President Alan Cayetano, replaces Senator Ron Panfilo Lacson as chairperson of the powerful Blue Ribbon Committee, which is probing the flood control scandal. [4:19] Senator Rodante Marcoleta replaces Senator Francis Pangilinan as head of the Committee on Justice and Human Rights. [4:26] Senator Aimee Marcos, meanwhile, retakes the foreign relations panel from Senator Irwin Tulfo, while Senator Robin Hood Padilla regains chairmanship of the Constitutional Amendments Committee. [4:38] Senator Mark Villar took finance, which is in charge of the national budget. [4:43] The previous chairman of the committee, Senator Sherwin Gachalianas, urged Villar to continue the reforms he started. [4:49] In other news, fugitive businessman Charlie Atong Ang is accused of bribing some complainants in the missing copfighter's case, where he is deemed a mastermind. [5:04] Out of the 31 complainants, only five continue to actively attend the hearings, after others were allegedly offered up to 40,000 pesos to abandon the charges against Ang. [5:14] The businessman has denied involvement in the disappearance of the Sabongeros, whose remains the government suspects were dumped at the Taal Lake in Batangas. [5:24] But siya under the table na sobre, hindi na niya pinabuksan. Ang sabi, tabi ko na lang sa bag ko. Nung buksan ko yung pagdating sa bahay, nakita ko, may lamang pera. [5:42] Ginukumbinsi po kami na yun nga, huwag nang umatin. Bibigyan kami ng pangpasyal-pasyal. Yun ang inaano niya sa amin yung offer. Katunayan po, ito po, binigay niya. [5:54] Parang ang gusto niya po kasing palabasin ay itigil na namin yung laban dito sa missing Sabongero. [6:04] Meanwhile, an administrative complaint has been filed before the National Police Commission against Highway Patrol Group's spokesperson, Nadami Malang, and Major Reynaldo Panebe, the warden of the custodial center at Camp Crame. [6:20] A relative of one of the victims identified them as among those who allegedly coordinated a secret meeting between the families and the 13 police officers accused in the case. [6:31] The two police officers denied the allegations. [6:33] Checking now on the Philippine Stock Exchange, the local bourse is staging a rebound after four straight sessions of decline. [6:43] The PSE's main index is up by over 8 percent this morning, with the broader all-shares index also in the green. [6:50] The recovery is also seen in most sectors, with only industrials bucking the trend. [6:55] Meanwhile, we're looking at 590 million pesos for total value so far, while advancers now beat decliners at 68 to 39. [7:03] And those are the latest news at this hour. [7:08] I'm Stanley Palisada. Keep it here on the ABS-CBN News Channel.

Transcribe Any Video or Podcast — Free

Paste a URL and get a full AI-powered transcript in minutes. Try ScribeHawk →